Sunday 7 December 2008

Saturday 6th December 2008

Saturday was a beautiful day, it was still cold but the sky was clear blue. I intended to start some Christmas shopping but when the weather is so good you have to make the most of it. Besides I have come to hate shopping at any time of the year so Christmas shopping - shopping for others! - just annoys me!


I am fortunate enough to live in Bournemouth. Dorset and Hampshire have so many lovely places to visit and the some of the best walking ground, one of my favourite places is Hengistbury Head, which is handy as I live very close to this.






I put on my boots, grabbed my camera and headed in the opposite direction to most people. That felt good!













From the South and East sides of Hengistbury you can clearly see The Needles on the Isle Of Wight

Thinking I'm a professional photographer, I clamber onto the South Side to get a picture of The Needles







Thinking I'm an utterly brilliant photographer, I sprawl in the grass for an alternative shot of The Needles.













View from Hengistbury Head looking west as Southbourne and Bournemouth Beaches.


One of those map things that people often gather around in large numbers in case they didn't know where they were or what they are looking at.



View looking North-east over Mudeford Spit and Quay









The ornamental pond on top of Hengistbury Head

I was kinda fascinated with how completely different this pond looks from different angles. I'm not sure these photos capture this well.

The ornamental pond from a slightly different angle


I walked over the top and down onto Mudeford Spit, I walked along the beach and sat on some sea defence rocks. Then I cried... I don't know why and can't remember the last time I did cry. I was out of the way and nobody could see. I have experienced quite a lot of shit this year so I think I deserved it, it may have been the Sigur Ros on my ipod or just the solitude, location and weather but I bawled like a baby! I felt fine before and felt brilliant immediately after.


Mudeford Spit beach huts





Although Hengistbury Head is located in Bournemouth it is actually Christchurch Council who manage and maintain Mudeford Spit as part of Mudeford Quay, I can't remember who pays who for what. Christchurch Council provide the sea defences.



I walked back along the spit past the beach huts that reportedly sell for £150,000 each, I doubt they're reaching that at the moment. I know of one beach hut that didn't get it's full asking price of £80,000.



£80,000 is still a lot of money for what is essentially a shed, some have electric and plumbing but most do not. I realise it's the location that people are paying for but it's still a shed in a nice location.




Would I pay £80,000 for this blue shed? Really really not




Would I pay that for this pink shed? Well this one is pink. It does not have a picnic table blocking the entrance which was tempting with the blue one, neither has it any upturned boats but it is pink.


The answer is still really really not!







I walked around the south side in what was literally blinding sun and followed the beach down, this starts as sand becomes a pebble beach which is occasionally used by naturalists in the summer months.

The South-east corner



The South beach at Hengistbury Head



And they said it would snow...

7 comments:

The Mistress said...

I have a view of The Needles by looking out my back window into the alley.

Does Beast live in one of those sheds?

Oh, and very nice pics.

*hands weepy Hardhouse a tissue from Beast's bedside alien tissue dispenser*

*gives him a nice hug with full bust pressure application*

Hardhouse said...

Careful MJ, anything we now say about BEASTs pad or dubious bedside tissue supply will be interpreted as unconscious desires...

*buries head in bust screaming YEAH BABY*

Frobisher said...

The dogs love having a good shit on Hengistbury Head. Do you ever make it to the cafe on the xchurch side? They do a rather nice Baileys Hot chocolate

Hardhouse said...

I had to dodge your dog shit when laying in the grass, use a poop scoop! Jeez!

Have been over Xchurch side a lot but have never been in the cafe. That drink sounds good so on YOUR recommendation I will visit...

eroswings said...

Great pics!

I can never understand why people build houses on the sand. Have they not heard the parable of what happened to house built on the sand? Seriously, one storm and the house gets washed out!

Now when you say 'naturalists', are you referring to environmentalists or nekkid people?

Hardhouse said...

Hi eroswings: Houses on the sand? The folk at Sandbanks have never heard this parable. A modern version should encompass rising sea levels... or is there mention of floods already??

Naturalists - Both hippies and nekkid people are often seen exploring the Head - caution is advised when approaching either!

Kapitano said...

The House of Hard has gone quiet lately. Is it just the Life of Hardhouse is equally quiet?